of tourists in Primorje-Gorski Kotar County per year
a voice of history
In 1833, a quarantine station, surrounded by a 4 meters high wall, was built in the bay of Martinšćica. The remains of the wall and lazaret are still here in the Shipyard. Vessels arriving from the Mediterranean ports used to be sent to the lazaret at Martinšćica to undergo quarantine of ten days minimum to limit the spread of communicable disease. A mobile iron roller was installed in the cavity of the wall, which was used to provide food through it. The roller also had a compartment for disinfecting money from ships that were in quarantine.